Migrate from MyISAM to InnoDB + Galera cluster
This howto is applicable to both standalone MySQL server and stock MySQL master-slave cluster using MyISAM storage engine.
- Create a Galera cluster (it may be a single node cluster).
- Stop all load on MyISAM master.
- Initialize the Galera cluster by performing mysqdump with
–skip-create-options- then by default it will create InnoDB tables on the cluster.
- Resume the load to one of the cluster nodes.
- Upgrade mysqld on the former master to Galera cluster software (MySQL-wsrep or Percona XtraDB cluster).
- Convert the tables to InnoDB on the former master node.
- Copy grastate.dat file from one of the cluster nodes to the former master, and change seqno from -1 to 0 there.
- Join the former master to Galera cluster.
The downtime will be the time it takes to perform step 3.